Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Bombastically Speaking

Today I am sharing one of my favorite quotes by Abraham Lincoln:

"Property is the fruit of labor...property is desirable...is a positive good in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise. Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another; but let him labor diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built."

~Abraham Lincoln "Reply to New York Workingmen's Democratic Republican Association"
(March 21, 1864)




I am proud to say that I never borrowed or received a grant from the government of our fine state of North Carolina or the United States. I worked my way through school to earn my BS in Elementary Education on my own. Yes, I lived with my parents. Yes, I drove an non air-conditioned car for part of that time and no, I did not take money from my parents.

I am so proud of my accomplishment. It proves to me that anyone can do the same! It only takes a determination to do so. When I hear people spue the rhetoric that everyone deserves a college education and that the little bit of money that I do now earn should be patriotically taken to help "everyone" get this promised education, I get mad...yes, mad!

True patriots will do as I have done and will work their bottoms off to make their own dreams a realization and not depend on those of us who have done so already! My decision to return to school at age 25 was not dependent on anyone else but myself! It was my duty to pay for that decision. I can only hope others can realize that I value my education even more due to the fact that it truly is mine! I encourage us all to become more self-sufficient and dependable. Let us "build up our own houses" as Mr. Lincoln stated. Make your own dreams come true. Do not leave it up to me to do it for you!

Bombastically Yours,

Melinda

No comments: